Last week the gripping story was space-themed and this week a different group of überfans launched a campaign to honour the star man David Bowie with a sculpture. Meanwhile, in more serious alternative finance news, there were huge gains for healthy food options, lifestyle brands and French crowdfunding. We were impressed by the rise of a sugar-free ice cream company, which exceeded its fundraising target, but the biggest winner of the week was… cauliflower rice!
Take a look at what the crowd had in store for the private sector over the past seven days:
1. Kicking off the week was an in-depth feature in the Guardian featuring our very own Co-founder Luke Davis. Luke outlined some the problems faced by UK entrepreneurs in accessing growth finance. If only we could send every entrepreneur a ticket to our upcoming event Race to Scale: Make Your Business Rock!
2. The rapid growth of crowdfunding and alternative finance reached new heights as it was revealed by AltFi News that the sector is now worth £10 billion
3. Very much in tune with the upcoming lifestyle focus of our Race to Scale event, an article in The Times this week noted the rise of crowdfunding in the fashion industry and its potential to support cutting edge design
4. One of the remarkable trends last year was the rise of European crowdfunding. Especially in France it seems, where the sector has been revealed to have grown by 40%. Maybe we should take Crowdfinders on an international tour!
5. Aiming to make your Saturday nights in sugar-free (don’t boo!) and continuing the trend of companies exceeding their funding targets, ice cream company Oppo raised £465,000 to help it take on Ben & Jerry’s and Häagen-Dazs
6. Major platform Seedrs announced its predictions for equity crowdfunding in 2017
7. Cauliflower update: in the final hours of its raise, Cauli Rice reached £1.3 million in funding – almost three times the initial target
8. Cycling brand Temple Cycles has launched a campaign to raise £150,000 to support its scale-up plans. See what they hope to finance here
9. Hoping to sprout more electric car charging points across the UK through a third round of crowdfunding, POD Point got off to a strong start this week
10. Locals in Brixton, South London launched a crowdfunding campaign to honour former resident and music legend David Bowie with an eye catching new thunderbolt sculpture
Stay tuned next week for the latest and greatest crowdfunding stories brought to you by our Weekly Top 10!